Tuesday 22 January 2013

Technique? What technique?

One of the joys of digital photography or indeed any art form is the capacity, as most creative people will tell you, of profiting from technical errors.

In my capacity as World's Crappiest Photographer I am having a whole lot more fun fiddling around with those black rectangles you get when you play with the knobs, dials and levers on a camera. Of course there are failures but I am quite happy recuperating digital information from the blackness in order to create, sometimes surprisingly beautiful images. I would not like to go out on assignment with such an attitude unless it was personal research. That as far as I can see is the real usefulness of Photoshop and RAW.

I would be the world's happiest man if I were able to take cool, commercial photographs like all the others. But no. All those years at art school and I am still technically an ignoramus. I think the next area will be building my own camera from scrap. Mind you, The Meatyard Blues are still in force. It is a rule in my house now. Never go out without the masks. But I am definitely thinking about building my own camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment