Sunday 22 January 2012

I couldn't resist making a small set of Streep as Thatcher. I have not seen the film, too much like a bad dream.
What interested me is the collision of the two sets of facial features, Thatcher somehow grafted onto Streep.
I am reminded of the cult of personality that is said to exist in North Korea.
Seeing the Streep as Thatcher image trundling past on the sides of Cambridge double deckers during the course of a working day is disturbing to say the least.
Opening a newspaper or magazine and seeing the same image is equally unsettling.

Perhaps the film will do better abroad where both Thatcher and Streep are admired, albeit for different reasons.

But I for one do not want to be reminded of the reason why I left the U.K in the first place.











Anyway, I enjoyed making the photographs, I was pleased with the black background, which was an old black fleece draped over a stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment