Saturday 3 December 2011

Towards an image of the late Lucien Freud, this is a work in progress.

gesture

The unknown features

Exported from the U.K.

Waving at poor people

A servant

Snobbery on parade
A selection of provisional images from the archive.paulgneale.tumblr.com/ They are here in sketchbook mode. They are the type of images that serve as reminders to not forget more ambitious work. By ambitious I mean scale or thematic series, or something with a bit of a bite. I am quite interested in using magazines as source material. I am quite riled by them really; are they telling us to love the rich, the
aristocrats, media moguls and all the rest ? Who honestly really cares?  

My feeling is that if one were to go up to the Queen , hand her a copy of Hello magazine and ask her to  sign it, naturally just under a photo of her good self with the thick black felt pen one was proffering, with an appropriate supplicatory facial expression ( see the Radiator Woman in David Lynch's Eraserhead ) well , she would just have you removed from the premises.  To Paul, luv Liz.xxx

Friday was a pretty good day as I got to see Vermeer's Women, a small but focussed show at the Fitzwilliam Museum. I was pretty much moved to tears in fact. And that does not happen very much in front of paintings that is for sure. I think it was the intensity of the paintings themselves.
The same reaction did not happen at the Kettle's Yard show of Bridget Riley. I love her work, always have , always will.

There is a phrase I heard ages ago, it is "Naked chicks! What's not to like ?" This is the expression I equate with a fine contemporary art exhibition. When I am filled with a puppyish enthusiasm for the images on display. That was the Bridget Riley experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment