Saturday 8 December 2012

Delete, Deleted, Deleted.

Heavy handed on the shutter release I have always taken far too many pointless images. In addition I have generally taken too many superfluous images. As a result most of my time is spent deleting image files.

At the post-production stage, which is carried out in my own spectacularly inept and bungling fashion, I am forced to perform even more, yes, you've guessed it already haven't you ? Even more deletions.

The process is analogous to carving. Removing excess material to reveal a significant form within.
The phrase "whittle down" springs to mind at this point.

What we really need is a box with the following words written on it: " Magic box for initiating a process similar to painting but which isn't painting but neither is it photography, per-se."

But, as someone once nearly said, "An image is an image is an image." So in the end it is just a working process.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that Keith Arnett has been in the back of my mind for the last 30 odd years. Black and white photographs first seen in art magazines and later on the white walls of a gallery somewhere.

Memory is a strange thing. It is like being haunted by ghosts. I am glad that one doesn't inherit memories, merely traits and talents and a sort of physical alikeness. Good art should also haunt us, hovering over our shoulder, usually until lunchtime, when you get so irritated that you are driven to rethink your current work.

No comments:

Post a Comment